Did you know that cleaning your window A/C can save you money and help you stay cool all summer long? It’s true. Professional cleanings can cost up to $100 or more, but you can take care of it yourself as long as you are willing to invest in a few tools and give up 1-2 hours of your time. Here’s everything you need to know about how to clean an air conditioner.
Air Conditioning Cleaning Supplies
- A flat head screwdriver or a putty knife
- A vacuum with a brush attachment
- A/C coil cleaner
- An A/C fin cleaner
- Your standard household cleaner
- Motor oil
Steps for Cleaning a Window Air Conditioner
- Pop off the front grill of the unit or the plastic frame that holds it in place with your screwdriver or your putty knife.
- Use your fin cleaner to straighten and clean out the fins. Make sure you use one that is the correct size. Take your time and either be very careful or wear gloves, because the fins can cause deep cuts on your hands.
- Use the brush attachment on your vacuum to clean out all the crud inside the unit. Make sure you get as much of the dust and debris out of there as possible, because that buildup makes your unit work less efficiently.
- Spray the coil cleaner on the coils and let it sit for the amount of time prescribed on the bottle. If there’s a lot of buildup, make sure it gets between the fins by brushing it in with a brush that has nylon bristles.
- While you’re waiting on the foam, use your household cleaner and a cloth to clean the blades of the fan. Use your screwdriver or putty knife to pop off any necessary parts, then add a few drops of oil to the motor. Replace all parts.
- Wipe off the coil cleaner and any debris that it has freed from the coils.
- Wash your filter or replace it if it is extra dirty or is designed to be replaced.
- Reassemble the unit and test it out.
AC Maintenance Experts in Greensboro
If you need help figuring out how to clean a window air conditioner or you don’t want to do the work yourself, give us a call at Aurora Pro Services. We’ll send out an experienced air conditioning service technician ASAP to make sure your unit is working efficiently and cooling your home well. We’d love to help you stay cool this summer!